Friday, December 16, 2011

Books I've Read This Week

I know I hinted at a review for The Children of the Sky but I haven't finished with it yet so you'll have to be happy with:

Naruto, Vol. 52 is the last volume I'll be reading for awhile as I've completely caught up on the series with volume 53 just being released on Dec 6th and my local library does not have it yet. We get the beginnings of a battle between Naruto and Sasuke who were once best of friends but now are mortal enemies as Sasuke has been led down a dark path. Stop me if you've heard this one before. Anyway, I don't want to be flippant but you can see how Naruto is maturing so much so I'm beginning to like him more. Funny that the title's main character was not always your favourite character.

Morning Glories, Vol. 2 by Nick Spencer is like the movie The Breakfast Club mixed with a horror movie that's on crack. In the first volume we are introduced the the school, Morning Glory Academy but we don't really get to know a lot about the 6 kids that are the main characters as they are struggling to fit in and well not be killed by the school and the creepy faculty. Now in volume 2 we are treated to 6 individual stories each one focusing on a main character. We get to see there is more depth behind, the rich kid, the jock, the smart one, the geek, the cheerleader and the goth in a number of surprising ways. All the while Spencer is able to move the story forward while giving valuable background information.

Also, the series artist Joe Eisma is absolutely killing it and you should check this recent breakdown of his art on the series.

See you next Friday.

No comments: