Friday, August 26, 2011

Books I've Read This Week


The Shallows is an interesting book by Nicholas Carr where the main thrust is that our current use of the internet is killing our ability to focus. The author posits that it is caused by constant interruptions and short "sound byte" type articles we read on the web. Apparently our brains are adapting to multi-task.

Go Put Your Strengths to Work by Marcus Buckingham can be summed up with discover what type of work really energizes and excites you then go search it out. The book also lays out some steps you can do to identify your strengths and how to massage your job so you can use your strengths more.

Naruto, Vol. 46 again continues to push the story on at a rapid pace. One of my favourite characters bites it in this volume which is sad but it makes sense from a story perspective and isn't a death for the sake of increasing sales.

Akira Volume 6 is the conclusion of the Akira story. Not much I can say about this story but go read all 6 volumes.
See you next Friday.

2 comments:

The League said...

the sheer volume of Naruto is a bit overwhelming to me, but I find it inexcusable I do not own any Akira and I haven't read any of it since Epic reprinted some in the 1980's.

Simon MacDonald said...

Naruto is an interesting read as it is serialized in the Weekly Shōnen Jump magazine so it reads kinda hectic. I wouldn't go looking at this series if you want a book that has a definite beginning, middle and end. The first completion of a storyline comes at volume 27 and as far as I know the second storyline is still on-going.

Akira was a great re-read. Beautiful story and art.