Friday, September 28, 2012

Books I've Read This Week

I really want to love Captain America: Truth by Robert Morales but it falls just a bit short for me. Sadly I think I need to pin the blame on Kyle Baker's art. Well that's not quite right perhaps I should blame the editor but let me explain. I usually love Baker's art. He's done some great stuff on Plastic Man and his Why I Hate Saturn graphic novel is great but in this case his art looks out of place when you consider the serious nature of the story.

Basically the current day Captain America, Steve Rodgers, has discovered that he was not the first soldier to undergo the super soldier treatment. Rather the first recipients were from an all African American squadron who really weren't offered a choice in taking the serum. It is a very poignant story of racism which is something you don't always see when you are reading comics.
Wait: The Art and Science of Delay by Frank Partnoy makes me feel better to be a procrastinator. In the book the author pulls together a number of studies from experts in the decision making field. The advice in the book can be boiled down to one simple tenant, "wait as long as possible to make a decision". Yes, vindicated!

Many other people feel that this book is a good counter point to Malcolm Gladwell's Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking. So if you read one you owe it to yourself to read the other.

No comments: