Thursday, January 17, 2013

Carbonite Backup

Look this is kind of an ad and kind of a public service announcement. If you are not backing up your computer you really need to be doing that. Something will go wrong. Those hard drives don't live forever.

If you are not following the 3-2-1 backup rule then you are either:

a) being and idiot or
b) playing with fire.

Maybe both. What? You don't know what the 3-2-1 backup rule is?

Simply put:

3) You should have three copies of any important file.
2) Those copies should be on two different media types.
1) At least one copy should be off site.

For instance, all of those digital pictures of my daughter growing up are super important to me so I employ the 3-2-1 strategy for all of my picture files. I have copies of the files on the hard drive of my computer, the NAS drive that runs on my network and finally a copy offsite with Carbonite.

Now Carbonite is great tool for doing offsite backups. For $59 a year you get unlimited backup of your computer. The best thing is that it runs as a background task on your computer and you never have to think about it. Don't worry about it sucking up all your bandwidth when you want to get something done as it will throttle itself if it detects you are doing something else.

Right now if you follow my referral link you can get Carbonite and both of us get $20 Amazon.com gift cards. Also, there is a 15 day free trial so you can give it a try without committing any money.

Carbonite is the reason I didn't start freaking out when my NAS died as I knew I had a backup copy in the cloud.

No comments: