Sunday, November 24, 2013

Books I've Read This Week

The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty is a witty book that I quite enjoyed reading. The premise is an out of work writer ends up working for a small publishing company that is populated by vampires, zombies, death goddesses, etc. Initially Zoe is a skeptical of the varicosity of her co-workers claims but she is soon thrown head first into the monstrous underbelly of NYC. An innocent mistake from her previous job comes back to make trouble for her as well.
Fortunately, The Milk by Neil Gaiman is a book I'm very much looking forward to re-reading with my daughter. In it a father pops out to get milk for his kids breakfast cereal and he takes a very long time. When he gets back he regales his kids with a tale of dinosaurs, pirates, aliens and vampires.

It seem to me to be exactly the sort of story a father would come up with. It actually reminds me of the time my daughter was worried about dragons setting our house on fire to which I quickly replied that she didn't need to worry as we had dragon scale shingles on the house and obviously dragon scale shingles are impervious to dragon fire as it would be silly for a dragon not to be immune to their own breath. Well that story worked as she went to sleep. It wasn't until a few years later where I had to dance around that when we were getting our roof re-shingled.

No comments: